Is it too late to post a December wrap-up? Not in this space, apparently. 😅Decembers have always been pretty busy but more so this year. There are a lot of personal errands, obviously, but it was mostly because I was wrapping stuff up at work because it was my last month.
I used to think that the amount of things I read is indirectly proportional to the amount of “living” I am doing, so maybe this thought still stands? Considering everything, December has been a pretty slow month reading-wise.
This December 2021, I was able to finish 3 books:
- Jade Legacy (The Green Bone Saga, #3) by Fonda Lee – 6/5☕ [short review]
- Infused: Adventures in Tea by Henrietta Lovell – 4/5☕
- Sweet on You (The Laneways, #1) by Carla de Guzman – 5/5☕[short review 1/2]
In my November 2021 wrap-up, I mentioned that my only hard goal this month was to finish Jade Legacy – and I did just that! And oh was it such a glorious (and painful) experience – totally unforgettable. I think this was the fastest I’ve read a book this long in a very long while (I finished it over a weekend). It honestly messed up my sleep for like 2 weeks, but it was so worth it. It was just as sublime an experience as I imagined. And I am declaring outright that this is my favorite book in The Green Bone Saga! My review of this book is still in my active drafts because I honestly can’t bring myself to churn out a decent post that can hopefully encapsulate my reading experience for this book.
Another book I (finally) finished was Infused. This was such a lovely, chill book that informs but more so describes someone’s deep love of tea. It honestly felt more like “travel writing” than a memoir as it detailed with sublime vividness the author’s adventures in trying to source the best teas in the world. It was just a great experience reading about someone professing her love for this drink and the ceremony around it. This will be reviewed as part of my next Non Fiction Round Up.
And of course, the final book that I’ve finished was Sweet on You, which was the December book for Tara Basa‘s discord server. I may have found the best Christmas romance in this book – as everything in this just screams Pinoy Christmas. It was so much fun reading familiar traditions, food, expressions – and even locations – mentioned in this book. I loved it so much!
What I’m reading right now
- Beautiful Bastard series by Christina Lauren – Started my year reading this fast-paced series in my backlist to get my mind off things. Maybe it’s because I’m listening to it in Scribd but I ended up burning through this. I already finished up to Beautiful Player (book #3, which I absolutely loved) so I still have a remaining 5 books out of this series, 3 of which are novellas. Not sure if I’ll be able to finish everything this month because I’m pretty overwhelmend right now because of my move, but let’s see.
- If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio – Ooh, dark academia. I got excited and picked this up in the “Tiktok made me read it” section in Waterstones. 😂 But I’m really interested to start and finish this soon since this has been in my radar for quite some time now.
- Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions by Johann Hari – This was a carry over from December. My head was just all over the place right now to focus on a nonfiction but I hope I could make progress in this still.
Overall, this was a pretty great reading month despite me just finishing 3 books. Two out of the three books here even ended up being part of my best books list for 2021! Anyway, that concludes my reading for 2021. I ended up reading 75 (!!!) books out of my planned 20 books. This was such a great reading year!